24/7 Cell Phone: 425-947-5348
Bellevue Washington Raccoon Control Situation: How to keep raccoons out of my garden
Raccoons are omnivores so they do search for food in gardens when given the opportunity. They also leave their droppings which carry diseases and are harmful to humans as well as pets. To keep them out the garden, try these options:
1. Lights -Since raccoons are nocturnal creatures, they would come out at night to forage for food. They prefer the darkness and are also known as 'masked bandits' because they are very clever at stealing. Install some flood lights with sensors that would trigger on when it detects movement. Point it directly at your garden. Hopefully the raccoon will leave once the lights are on. If motion sensors are too costly, then install a bright light to face your garden at night.
2. Ammonia -This option can be perfect if you do not have any pets. Raccoons dislike the high scent of ammonia so you can either soak some rags and place it around your garden or soak a rope and place it around your entire garden. They would not come near the scent of ammonia and your garden will be safe. You can also soak tennis balls in the ammonia and spread them out in your yard and close to your fence to keep them out of the yard.
3. Noise -Raccoons dislike noise, especially loud noises. If you leave a radio playing in your garden, they would not even venture toward it. However, be careful that you also annoy your neighbors. Play it at a low volume and maybe on a talk station.
4. Capture -You can try to catch the raccoon and get rid of the problem permanently. The most humane method is by using cages. Set up the trap and place some bait inside. Raccoons like sweet corn, watermelon, peaches, anything soaked in honey, meat and even gooey marshmallows. You can purchase a single door cage trap or a double door cage trap and set it close to your garden. Once the raccoon is inside, the doors automatically close and then you can call the authorities to come get it. If you want, you can also drape a cloth over the cage and release it at least more than 5 miles away from your home.
5. Animal Control - These are the professionals. They can also be an option if you do not want to do it yourself. They would be able to capture and give you advice on how to keep the raccoons out of your property.
6. Urine -You can purchase animal urine from the store. Coyotes or even raccoon eviction fluid which are excretions and urine of raccoons, can work to keep the animal at bay. If they smell these, they would sense danger as they are territorial animals. If females have young ones, they especially would move to a different location because male raccoons kill young ones if they are not theirs and then mate with the mother to ensure their bloodline. Spray some of the coyote urine or eviction fluid around your yard and close to your garden.
If you wish to learn more, click on the How to Get Rid of Raccoons in the Attic home page. For wildlife control, animal trapping services, and raccoon control in King County, Washington, call us at 425-947-5348, and ask to talk about raccoons in the attic in Bellevue, WA.